Created by Kevin Wash.
With money sometimes tight and our wallets feeling lighter than we’d like, a surprisingly high number of people are choosing to ditch the holidays and use annual leave to catch up on the DIY, home projects, or even work!
But new research has suggested that this might not be the healthiest option for both body and mind – those who take regular holidays seem to be happier than those who don’t. A recent study from one of the industry giants, Diamond Resorts International**, found that people who commit to taking breaks on a regular basis are generally happier, healthier and have better relationships than those who don’t.
In fact, an over-riding majority (at least 76 per cent) of holidaymakers asked, who take a decent trip at least once a year stated that they were satisfied and happy with their lives overall, compared to people who almost never get away. More than half (52 per cent) of respondents also revealed that they didn’t take all of their paid holiday days this past year.
I guess this just shows what we really all know about vacation benefits, “Vacations should not be considered a luxury – they are a must for our happiness and health in an increasingly stressful world.” Here are the top reasons why holidays are essential based on the survey results:
1) Vacations Can Make You Feel Sexier: 80 per cent of people who vacation yearly report that “romance is alive in their relationship” compared to 56 per cent who never take a vacation
2) Vacations Can Make You Feel Happier: 76 per cent of yearly vacationers report feeling “happy” or “extremely happy” compared to just 43 per cent of those who never take a vacation
3) Vacations Can Make You Feel Energised: 72 per cent of yearly vacationers report feeling “energised and full of life all the time” compared to just 34 per cent of those who never take a vacation
4) Vacations Can Make You Feel Better About Your Job: 71 per cent of yearly vacationers report feeling “satisfied to very satisfied with their job” compared to just 46 per cent of those who never take a vacation
5) Vacations Can Make You Feel Healthier: 56 per cent of yearly vacationers describe their health as “very good” or “excellent” compared to 28% of those who never take a vacation
So maybe we should all revisit our commitment to taking vacations, particularly as in areas of health, happiness, energy and relationships – all crucial elements of longevity – “The percentages almost double in people who take vacations.”